Friday, March 21, 2008

Just Relax...Proper "mechanics"


My friend and teacher, Tim Cartmell once told me that the difference between good martial arts and great martial arts is your ability to relax and use proper body mechanics while executing to produce the greatest output of efficient energy.

This of course, is easier said than done.
It takes years to master the physical. It's no different than any other endeavor, whether it's swinging a baseball bat, hitting a tennis ball, kicking a soccer ball, etc.

But my question is, how can I "use" my ability to relax with "proper mechanics" that I learn in a martial setting and apply it to my everyday life? After all most of the time we all are working, dealing with loved ones and living a normal existence.

While I might be able to relax while rolling with someone or mix it up a little sparring; my ability to "deal" with pressure from non-martial stress often fails. Tension creeps in and clarity becomes muddled because of stress. The phrase, "keep a cool head" comes immediately to mind. This is difficult for me.

I find this type of tension tremendously difficult to contain. It's hard to have to deal with yourself. It is for me. I'd rather have someone try to choke me out or take some punches at me. That's external, physical, tangible. The "inside" stuff is difficult to pin.

High level arts can transcend. There's a need to work on ourselves by using the principles that we learn in our physical study. How and if we apply these physical principles of relaxing with good mechanics into our normal daily lives is the challenge.

Think?

Below is a clip of my good friend and teacher Tim Cartmell. Enjoy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuP6cApKAD8

No comments: