Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Coming Around Again...

I've missed teaching martial arts. For a long time, teaching martial arts was a big part of who I was, how I saw myself. It wasn't because I thought that I was a tough guy by teaching, it was because I saw people do things, with my help, that they never thought they could do. By teaching, I learned. Seeing others get inspired by martial arts inspired me.

I stopped teaching 10 years ago. I shut the doors of the dojo that I had owned for 9 years. It was very, very difficult for me to close the dojo and to stop teaching. I felt like I lost a little bit of myself in doing so.

I never stopped learning and practicing martial arts. In some ways, I think by getting exposed and training in the martial arts, the experience broadened my view and appreciation for training overall. I can rationalize that it was good for me and my growth, and it was...technically. Emotionally and spiritually, though, I missed teaching.

With the support of Stacia and a generous offer by my long time friend and fellow martial artist Gary Card, I will begin to teach again. Gary Card is giving me the opportunity to have a space one night a week at his dojo in Lowell.

I'll begin teaching Thursday nights. Emotions run deep as the practice has always been, to me, much more than physical. Some of my old friends and students will rejoin me in the journey and I look forward to the new friends that will accompany me in my endeavor.

I eagerly anticipate teaching once again. I look forward to sharing, working, learning, and growing.

I hope to see some of you. All of you are welcome.

- Joe

3 comments:

Jake said...

Joe,

Your students will be lucky to have you! Good luck with the training, and the exploration.

Andrea Pennacchi said...

Hi Joe, good luck! Are you planning to come over to Italy?
Andrea the Italian Lurker at Shenwu's

Anonymous said...

Good work, Joe. I've found teaching (in other contexts besides martial arts)gives me better insights into my own strengths and shortcomings in the subject I'm teaching. Best wishes for the new endeavor.

Tom